Friday, May 16, 2008

My Disappearance for this Fortnight...

I’ve been gone for over 9 weeks and haven’t contacted you, well, you will never believe, I had broken my wrist falling off a horse.

Imogene and I were out exercising the horses and a very large red fox scampered out of the brush and frighten my horse, he engaged in a full gallop and my foot slipped out of the stirrup and I went flying off onto the ground. I can tell you, I was in no condition to move, I was very fortunate that I didn’t break more limbs as it was a very nasty fall, I came away with severe bruising all over my body, stiff extremities and a broken arm and wrist where I caught my fall! These many weeks I have been convalescing at Imogene’s bed and breakfast. I can’t tell you how badly I have felt at the inconvenience for Imogene’s sake. I have so much to repay her for! It has been with thanks and gratitude and all her hospitality and care, that I am able to write to you again.

We are about our business again; I finally got a chance to meet with Catherine Wearing and her Mother. She informed me that her Mother was once enlisted into the service of the King as a seamstress, as she spun the tail, I listened with great care as she told me of all the gowns and costumes she had made for the queen and her attendants. My, I was so amazed by the degree of detail of each gown, intricately & delicately stitched, beaded, and embroidered – and all those fittings, my goodness what an ordeal!

Oh, a diversion! There are four little, colorful birds eating at Imogene’s bird feeder just outside the sitting rooms window. Two are eating quite contentedly at the feeder and two are just below on the ground picking up the remainder of the seeds dropping to the ground. The spring flowers are delicate and sweet. Their aroma is drifting through the open window, how delightful.

Anyway, where was I? Ah! Rose, the seamstress, is now in her 80’s and still she is sewing, but not for the King! What a great service to the Empire, to outfit the King!

I have nothing so grand to relate about my past. Just a quiet, peaceful existence - keeping to myself and doing good for those lovely people in my life. I know that God has put people around us to do good for and I know those that are in need in my life. I have had the very good fortune to be retired from public duty; I bet you are surprised that a mere woman should have an occupation in this day and age. Well, I am one of the very few who have ever been used by God to serve in this way. As for what duty I performed for the King, it is never to be mentioned. But, I have been excused from the service to be retired in the country with a full income to feed my livestock and tend my home. How grand!

Well, I think that I have gotten you caught up to date as to the where about’s of my person! You must think me a strange woman to be so bold to write with such alacrity about my past and all the things that have happened since my last writing of March 24th. Well, be advised I shall do my upmost to keep you aware of my person as I finish out my visit to Sommerville.


My arrival at the village will be within the week, as I prepare my gowns into their large trunk awaiting transport by coach!

Be of good cheer, I will see you shortly!

1 comment:

  1. Indeed, you have had some busy weeks. Sorry to hear about the wrist- I shall pray it mends quickly! :^) Love your photographs.

    ReplyDelete